Top | Zanne Miller
Chicken Fajita Soup
(recipe, Zanne Miller)
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast, sliced crosswise into thin strips
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 to 3 large red or green bell peppers, diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes
- ½ jalapeño pepper, sliced into rings (optional)
- 1 qt. (32 ounces) chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- Prepare the chicken: Put the chicken strips in a bowl with the lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and salt and pepper. Set it aside to marinate while you chop the other vegetables. When ready to use, reserve the marinade.
- Prepare the soup: Put the olive oil in a large (at least 4 quarts) stock pot and add the chicken. Over medium heat, sauté the chicken until cooked, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, and bell peppers. Add the tomatoes and the reserved marinade. Add the jalapeño, if using. When all the vegetables are softened and the onions are translucent, add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Assemble the soup: Season to taste, then ladle the soup into four serving bowls. Pass the garnishes at the table.