Top | The Veg Table
Creamy Vegan Asparagus Soup
(recipe, Mary Altman)
Who says you need cream or butter to make a creamy soup? This delicious, early spring soup is an easy, quick, creamy delight.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 spring onion, diced (reserve green tops)
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 tsp. tamari
- 4 cups veggie broth*
- *Nijiya Market in Japantown (on Post btwn Webster and Buchanan) is a great place to get soup stock. Look for packets with pictures of mushrooms and seaweed. Most packages have a list of ingredients written in English as well as Japanese.
- Heat olive oil in soup pot. Add diced onions and spring onions, cook until onions are translucent.
- Discard the hard ends of asparagus, and break the stalks into pieces. Add to onions with tamari and cook until asparagus is bright green (about 5 minutes).
- Add veggie broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Before blending, remove some of the asparagus tips for garnish. Blend soup, and serve with garnish!