Top | Dinner Sides
(recipe, LB Nichols)
- 8 oz. Dried black-eyed beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 5 cups Water
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 8 oz. Long Grain Rice
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 14 oz. canned peeled tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place beans in large saucepan. Add water and 1 tsp salt. Place over moderately high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover pan and simmer beans for 1 hour and 30 mins.
- Stir in rice, cover pan and simmer for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small frying pan. Fry onion, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 mins (don't let it brown). Remove pan from heat and stir in tomatoes with canned juices, cayenne pepper, pepper and remaining salt.
- Add to simmering rice and stir to mix. Replace cover and continue to simmer for 15-20mins or until rice and beans are tender.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.