Top | Chicken
Panfried Chicken Breasts w/oregano butter
(recipe, LB Nichols)
- * 2 garlic cloves
- * ¼ teaspoon salt
- * 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or ½tbsp dried
- * ¼ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- * 4 chicken breast halves with skin and bones (2 to 2¼ lb)
- * 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mince garlic and mash to a paste with salt using a large heavy knife.
- Mash together butter, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic paste with a fork until well blended.
- Pat chicken dry. Cut a 2-inch-long pocket horizontally in side of each chicken breast half and fill each pocket with 2 teaspoons oregano garlic butter. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook chicken, skin sides down, uncovered, until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn chicken over and cover skillet, then cook until chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Spread remaining oregano garlic butter over skin of chicken.