Top | Appetizers
(recipe, LB Nichols)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 to 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely diced red or red and green bell pepper mixture
- ⅓ cup chopped shallots
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 4 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan
- 6 oz. room temperature butter
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 18 medium (2½-inch) littleneck clams, shucked, bottom shells reserved
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and saute until crisp and golden, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate. Add the bell pepper, shallots, garlic, and oregano to the same skillet and saute until the shallots are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and cool completely. Combine butter with bread crumbs and 2tbsp Parmesan cheese. Stir the bacon into the vegetable mixture, then stir into butter/breadcrumbs/cheese mixture. Season the mixture, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Line a heavy large baking sheet with foil. Arrange the clams in the reserved shells on the baking sheet. Spoon the vegetable mixture atop the clams, dividing equally and mounding slightly.
- Bake until the clams are just cooked through and the topping is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange the clams on the platter and serve