Top | Vegetarian
Spicy bean soup
(recipe, LB Nichols)
This is my variation on Giada De Laurentiis' Spicy Bean Soup. It makes about 2 quarts and 2 small servings.
- * 2 tablespoons olive oil
- * 1 onion, chopped
- * 1 celery stalk, cut into ½-inch pieces
- * 1 carrot, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- * ½ red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces
- * 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- * 3 tablespoons chili powder
- * ½ tablespoon ground coriander
- * ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- * 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- * ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- *Red Hot or Tobasco, if desired
- * 1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- * 1 cup tomato sauce
- * ½ (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- * ½ (3-inch) piece Parmesan cheese rind
- * 1 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- * 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- * 1 (15½-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- * 1 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- * ½ cup dried green or red lentils
- *¼ cup freshly shredded Parmesan
- * 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a heavy large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic, and saute until the onions are translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, coriander, cumin, oregano and crushed red pepper, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, pasta sauce, tomato paste, cheese rind, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Add a few dashes of Red Hot or Tobasco, if desired. Add the broth, garbanzo beans, cannellini beans, and lentils.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender and the mixture thickens slightly, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Season the stew to taste with more salt, if desired.
- Ladle the stew into bowls. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and basil, and serve.