Top | Seafood
Fall River Clam Chowder
(recipe, LB Nichols)
- * ½ pound bacon, medium dice
- * 1 cup chopped leeks (about 1 pound)
- * 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- * ½ cup chopped celery
- * 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- * 3 bay leaves
- * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- * ½ cup flour
- * 1 pound white potatoes, peeled and medium diced
- * 4 cups clam juice
- * 2 cups heavy cream
- * 2 pounds little neck clams, shucked, chopped
- * 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- * Salt and pepper
- In a heavy stock pot, over medium-high heat, render the bacon, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the leeks, onions, celery, and carrots. Saute for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves and thyme. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes. Stir in the clam juice. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the mixture until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12 minutes. Add the cream and bring up to simmer. Add the clams and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle into shallow bowls and serve.