Top | untitled
Marinated and Grilled London Broil
(recipe, LB Nichols)
- # 1 (2½ pound) tri-tip London Broil or flank steak
- # ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- # ¼ cup dry red wine
- # 2 tablespoon olive oil
- # 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- # 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- # 2 tablespoon Creole mustard, or other spicy whole-grain mustard
- # 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- # 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- # 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Place the flank steak in a large, plastic resealable bag.
- In a large, glass measuring cup, combine red wine vinegar, red wine, olive oil, Worcestershire, soy sauce, mustard, essence, salt, pepper, and garlic. Pour the marinade into the bag with the steak, seal and place inside a large, glass baking dish to prevent possible spills. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours (or at least 6 hours).
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. (Alternately, preheat the broiler). Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Place the steak on the grill (or under the broiler) and cook to desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side for rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes before carving.
- Slice across the grain into thin diagonal slices. Serve steak with sauce.