Top | untitled
Beef Short Ribs w/polenta
(recipe, LB Nichols)
Beef Short Ribs and Polenta recipe from FoodNetwork.com (Emeril)
- * 1 rack beef short ribs, about 2½ pounds, cut into 4-ounce portions
- * 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- * 2 tablespoons olive oil
- * 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- * 1 dried ancho chile
- * 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- * 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- * 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- * 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- * ⅛ cup kosher salt
- * 1 gallon water
- * Cheddar Polenta, recipe follows
- Cheddar Polenta:
- * 1½ cups water
- * 2 cups milk
- * 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- * 1 bay leaf
- * 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- * 1½ teaspoons salt
- * ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- * 1 cup polenta
- * 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- * ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- * 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Ribs Steps:
- Season both sides of the ribs with the ancho chile powder. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a roasting pan over 2 burners on the stove. Add oil and sear ribs on all sides. Add the soy sauce, ancho chile, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, kosher salt, and water to the roasting pan, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and tightly cover, and transfer to the oven. Cook until the ribs are tender and fall from the bones, about 3 to 3½ hours.
- Remove from the oven and serve on top of the cheddar polenta, with the cooking liquid spooned over the top.
- Polenta steps:
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine 1½ cups of water with the milk, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and slowly add the polenta, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often with a large wooden spoon, until the polenta thickens, about 25 minutes.
- Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the cheddar and Parmesan, and stir well. Adjust seasoning, to taste, and serve hot.
- Yield: 8 appetizer servings