Top | Savory
Dry-Brined Chicken with Meyer Lemon Roasted Vegetables
(recipe, Anna Conley)
- 1 chicken, about 4 lb.
- 6 Tbsp. dry brine
- 2 Meyer lemons cut into ¼-inch rings
- 4 artichokes, trimmed, outer leaves removed, quartered lengthwise
- 1½ lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. white wine
- 5 oz. black olives, pitted and quartered
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Place the chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Rub the chicken all over with the dry brine, making sure to coat the breast well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 425ºF.
- In a large bowl, stir together three-fourths of the lemon slices, the artichokes, potatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. Transfer the vegetables to the bottom of an All-Clad stainless-steel chicken roaster. Pour the wine into the reservoir of the roaster.
- Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place the remaining lemon slices in the chicken cavity, and tuck the wings behind the neck. Place the chicken, with the leg end first and the breast side up, onto the suspension arm. Tightly truss the legs and the bottom part of the back to the suspension arm.
- Transfer the roaster to the oven and roast the chicken and vegetables for 30 minutes. Stir the vegetables, then rotate the roaster 180 degrees in the oven. Continue to roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh, away from the bone, registers 170°F, about 30 minutes more.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir the vegetables, return the roaster to the oven and continue to roast until the potatoes begin to brown and most of the liquid from the pan has evaporated, about 10 minutes more. Stir the olives and parsley into the vegetables and transfer to a warmed platter. Carve the chicken and arrange on the platter. Serve immediately.