Top | Copyright Recipes (Private)
Better Stir-Fried Broccoli
(recipe, Anna Conley)
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth (I use a 1-cup pack and reduce it on the stove before using)
- 1 Tbsp. dry sherry (I use Japanese rice wine instead)
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. Asian chili-garlic sauce
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp, but I always use more.)
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. + 1 Tbs oil (calls for vegetable oil, I use light EVOO for the broccoli saute and regular cooking EVOO for the pepper flakes and garlic.)
- 1½ lb. broccoli cut into ¾ inch florets and ¼ inch stem pieces
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- Whisk broth, sherry, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch and chili-garlic sauce together. Reduce over heat if needed to make "sauce."
- Combine garlic, pepper flakes, and 1 tsp oil in a separate bowl.
- Heat Tbs of oil in wok over medium-high heat until it just begins to smoke. Add broccoli and sprinkle with sugar to promote browning. I generally put the stem pieces in first, followed by the florets after a minute or two. Cook, stirring frequently, until broccoli is just cooked, 8-10 minutes.
- Push broccoli to sides of pan to clear center and add oil-garlic mixture. Cook, mashing the garlic bits, until fragrant, 15-20 seconds.
- Stir to combine broccoli and garlic.
- Add chicken broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until broccoli is cooked through and sauce has thickened. 30-45 seconds.