Top | entree
ale turkey meatloaf
(recipe, Cathy Schmitz)
awesome moist slicing meatloaf
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 12 oz. dark or amber beer
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ¾ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1¼ lb. lean ground beef
- 1¼ lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8½-by-4½-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes, add minced garlic. Pour in beer and increase heat to high. Bring to a vigorous boil; cook until the liquid is quite syrupy and the mixture reduces to about ¾ cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.DO NOT BURN Stir in thyme, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add beef, turkey, breadcrumbs, parsley, beaten egg and egg white to the onion mixture. Mix thoroughly with clean hands and transfer to the prepared pan.
- Bake the meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer registers 160° when inserted into the center, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes; drain accumulated liquid from the pan and slice. Serve hot or cold or in a sandwich.