Top | Cookies
Bluebird Millet and Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Plums
(recipe, Carla Clayton)
In my Bluebird CSA, I received the whole grain "millet" with a suggestion to make cookies. I didn't have all the ingredients needed, so I made an oatmeal cookie and substituted raisins for prunes and added the millet. I added pecans that were in my CSA too. The result....a tasty, crunchy cookie full of healthy fiber.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. of dark molasses
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup of dried plums (prunes) chopped
- ¼ cup of millet
- ¼ cup of chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, blend the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla flavoring.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Gradually add flour mixture to the sugar mixture and blend until all flour is moist.
- Add the oatmeal, prunes, pecans and millet and mix by hand until oats are moistened.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place cookies on cooling rack.
- These make delicious breakfast cookies.