Top | The Savory Way
Prunes Stuffed with Walnuts, Chocolate, and Orange Peel
(recipe, Deborah Madison)
- Large pitted prunes
- Bittersweet chocolate
- Walnut pieces
- Fine strands of fresh orange zest (preferably organic)
- Superfine sugar (optional)
- If the prunes aren't soft or pitted, steam them over hot water until they are soft, then remove the pits.
- Insert a nugget of chocolate and 1 or 2 pieces of walnut into each prune. Gently stuff a few strands of orange or tangerine zest inside, leaving some showing or not, as you like. Sprinkle superfine sugar over the prunes if you want to give them a frosted look, or omit it if sugar isn’t on your menu.
- Put them in paper cases if you want to be fancy. Otherwise, just put them on a plate and serve.
If you’re from the Northwest and have a supply of hazelnuts, toast them, rub off those skins that come off easily, then chop them and mix them with grated chocolate and fine lemon zest. Stuff it into the prunes and roll the prunes in fine sugar.