Top | Zanne Miller
Easy Tom Kha Gai
(recipe, Zanne Miller)
- 2 Tbsp. peanut or other vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, sliced into strips ⅛-inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) coconut milk
- ½ qt. (16 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 4 red Thai chile peppers or serrano peppers, sliced into rings
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 10 oz. sliced white mushrooms or canned straw mushrooms
- 10 lime leaves, deveined and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar or minced palm sugar
- ¼ cup lime juice
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Put the peanut oil in a large (at least 4 quarts) stock pot. Over medium heat, sauté the onion until translucent. Add the coconut milk, broth, ginger, and peppers, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the cubed chicken in a separate saucepan and cover it with water. Heat to boiling. Strain off the fat, then add the remaining liquid and the chicken to the soup pot.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, lime leaves, and lemongrass, and simmer for another five to 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, then add the sugar and lime juice.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the cilantro.