Top | Zanne Miller
Simple Rosemary Dumplings
(recipe, Zanne Miller)
Use these dumplings in place of the orzo in Chicken Orzo Soup.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ sprig dried rosemary, leaves removed and crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 tsp. honey
- 4 Tbsp. butter, softened but not melted
- ½ cup milk, plus more as needed (up to 1 cup)
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, crushed rosemary leaves, and honey. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter until the dough is crumbly. Stir in the ½ cup milk, then add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you are able to form a soft dough.
- Drop the dough in heaping tablespoons into a simmering pot of soup. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. When the dumplings are cooked (they will float), serve the soup immediately.
If you have leftovers, remove the dumplings from the soup and store them in a separate container to avoid a soggy mess the next day.