Top | Ellen Kanner
Vegan Soupe Joumou
(recipe, Ellen Kanner)
I have taken the meat out of Marcel's Soupe Joumou but not, I hope, the heart. Great by itself or ladled over cooked brown rice.
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup garlic, chopped (Yeah, a ¼ cup. Got a problem?)
- ¼ cup ginger, chopped
- 1 jalapeño or ¼ habañero, chopped
- 1 large winter squash, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1½ tsp. allspice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch collards or callaloo, chopped into bite-sized bits, or about 3 cups shredded cabbage
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeño. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add allspice, chopped squash, and chopped carrots. Add greens a handful at a time. Stir just until greens wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring heat to high. When broth comes to a boil, add thyme leaves and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for half an hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Squeeze in lime juice and season with sea salt and pepper.