Top | eggs
Sesame Garlic Soba w/ Fried Egg
(recipe, Rebeca Torres Rose)
- 1 cup soba noodles - about 1.5 ounces dry
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 green onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 egg
- Extra green onion for garnish
- Extra salt
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add the soba noodles and a tablespoon of salt. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and transfer to serving dish.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium heat and add the sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, and sauté until fragrant, about thirty seconds. Remove from heat and stir in the soy sauce. Pour this sauce over the noodles, add the green onion, and toss until the noodles are evenly coated.
- Set the same small pan you just used back over medium-high heat. Crack an egg into the pan, being careful not to break the yolk. When the whites have set, use a spatula to gently but swiftly flip the egg over. Cook for a minute or two until the whites are completely cooked but the yolk is still liquid.
- Slide the egg on top of the noodles, garnish with green onion if you're feeling fancy, and eat immediately!