Top | Main courses w/ meat
Beef and beans chili
(recipe, Jennifer Cole)
Our basic meat chili recipe. Ingredients and garnishes can be varied depending on what you have on hand; I'll add fresh veggies like squash or bell peppers when in season. Serve with brown rice or cornbread.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. organic ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 small red chili peppers, minced (or ground cayenne pepper to taste)
- 4 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 large (28-oz.) canned organic fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 small (14-oz.) cans organic tri-bean blend (or other beans, like black, kidney, pinto)
- cheddar cheese, grated for garnish
- Heat olive oil in 6 qt. soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and sauté until browned.
- Add onions and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic, red chilis, and chili powder and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer until flavors are well mixed, about 20 minutes or more. Add water if it gets too thick and add salt if needed.
- Serve over rice or cornbread and garnish with cheese.