Top | My imagination
Spanish Paella with Shrimp, Chicken and Sausage
(recipe, sarah trottier)
Mash-up of various recipes (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/easy-lobster-paella-recipe/index.html http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-paella-recipe/index.html http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-paella-recipe/index.html) and what I think paella would be like...
- Spice Mix for chicken (1 tablespoon sweet paprika; 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 1 0.5 lb. chicken (bone-in)
- 1 red pepper, roasted, skin removed, chopped
- ⅛ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish chorizo sausages, thickly sliced
- ½ Spanish onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, reserve some for garnish
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 2 cups short grain Spanish rice (or arborio)
- 2 cups chicken broth, warm
- 1 cup water, warm
- Pinch saffron threads
- 1 lb. shrimp
- ⅓ cup peas, frozen and thawed
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Coat chicken in spice rub and marinate for 1 hour. Add saffron to water and broth, set aside.
- Heat oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat. Saute the chorizo until browned, remove and reserve. Add chicken skin-side down and brown on all sides, turning with tongs. Add salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove from pan and reserve.
- In the same pan, sauté the onions and garlic. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add tomatoes and parsley and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit and the flavors meld.
- Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains. Add broth mixture to pan and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid.
- Add chicken and chorizo. Add the shrimp, tucking them into the rice. The shrimp will take about 8 minutes to cook.
- Give the paella a good shake and let it simmer, without stirring, until the rice is al dente, for about 15 minutes.
- When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat up for 40 seconds until you can smell the rice toast at the bottom. Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with peas, parsley and lemon wedges.