Top | Just Desserts
Banana cream pie
(recipe, Adriana Velez)
- * 2½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- * ⅓ cup sugar
- * ¼ cup mashed banana
- * ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- * ½ cup sugar
- * ⅓ cup cornstarch
- * ¼ teaspoon salt
- * 1½ cups whipping cream
- * 1½ cups whole milk
- * 3 large egg yolks
- * ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- * 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- * 5 ripe bananas (about 1½ pounds total), peeled, cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices
- For crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and mashed banana in large bowl to blend. Add unsalted butter and stir to moisten evenly. Press onto bottom and up sides of 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Bake crust until set and pale golden, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- For filling:
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in heavy medium saucepan to blend. Gradually whisk in whipping cream and whole milk, then egg yolks. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add vanilla bean. Whisk over medium-high heat until custard thickens and boils, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in unsalted butter and vanilla extract. Discard vanilla bean. Transfer custard to large bowl; cool completely, whisking occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Stir custard to loosen, if necessary. Spread 1 cup custard over bottom of prepared crust. Top with half of sliced bananas, then 1 cup custard, covering bananas completely. Repeat layering with remaining bananas and remaining custard. Chill banana cream pie until filling is set and crust softens slightly, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day. Cut pie into wedges and serve.