Top | Experimental
Roasted Beet Salad
(recipe, Jean Henrich)
This is my modification of an Epicurious.com recipe originally from Bon Appetit, March 1997.
- 6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. red-wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 6 medium-large beets
- 2 Tbsp. capers, drained & chopped (or 6 large green olives, chopped)
- 1 head red-leaf lettuce
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare dressing: Whisk oil, vinegar and garlic in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast beets: Cut greens off beets, if present, leaving 1 inch of stem. Wash beets and wrap in foil. Place beets in oven on a tray and roast for 1½ hours or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Unwrap beets and let cool slightly. Peel beets by running under water and rubbing skin. Cut off the ends and slice beets into one-inch chunks.
- Place beets in a bowl and mix in chopped capers or green olives, plus ½ cup of dressing,
- Wash lettuce, spin dry and tear into pieces. Place in a serving bowl and toss with remainder of dressing.
- Toss beets into lettuce.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese when ready to serve.