(recipe, Bonny Wolf)
A trip to the Eastern Market in Washington, D.C., provides Wolf with ingredients for this ratatouille.
- 3 bell peppers in whatever colors you like, stemmed, seeded, and cut into thick strips
- 6 small eggplant, white and/or purple, stemmed and cut into 1-inch rounds
- 2 medium yellow squash (or 5 small), stemmed and cut into 1-inch rounds
- 2 medium zucchini (or 5 small), stemmed and cut into 1-inch rounds
- ½ lb. green beans, halved
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms (or wild mushrooms), thickly sliced
- 2 medium red onions, cut into ½-inch rings
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled, germ removed and halved
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Handful of fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, marjoram, oregano, basil)
- 3 medium tomatoes (any kind), cut in wedges
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Place bell peppers, eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, mushrooms, red onions, and garlic in a large roasting pan. Toss with the olive oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Strew sprigs of fresh herbs over the mixture.
- Roast the vegetables until almost tender, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the tomatoes and stir. Roast another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 10.