Top | cozy holidays
a little sugar cookies
(recipe, Sarah Gilbert)
I'm a big sugar avoider, and I'm always trying to figure a way to make foods my boys will love with less added sweetener, and when it's there, just local honey and maple syrup. But it's Christmas, they tell me. At least a little sugar!
I yielded easily enough. It is Christmas.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ cup powdered sugar (we use organic powdered sugar)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- scant 2 cups white flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Cream butter.
- One at a time, add honey, powdered sugar, and maple syrup, whipping well after each addition.
- Beat in egg.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flours, baking powder and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into butter mixture and combine well.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or a dish towel and refrigerate at least 20 minutes (but as long as 1 or 2 days).
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Slice cookies into ½" rounds, or roll into ¼" thickness on floured surface and cut out shapes.
- Bake on cookie sheet for about 8 minutes, watching carefully.