Top | Recipe Queue
Artisan Gingerbread Cottages with Royal Icing
(recipe, Bluebird Farmers Market & CSA)
With this tried and true recipe for Gingerbread Houses and Royal Icing, Cottage Gingerbread Artisan, Linda Hayward, gave a culinary workshop on the art of baking, assembling and decorating Gingerbread Houses at Bluebird Market. Watch and Learn from Linda: http://bit.ly/GingerbreadCottage
Pretty Gingerbread House at Bluebird Market: http://bit.ly/Gingerbreadhouse
- Gingerbread for Houses
- 5 and ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 2 t. ginger
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. nutmeg
- 1 t. cloves
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1¼ cups unsulphured molasses
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Royal Icing
- 3 level T. Wilton Meringue Powder Mix
- 4 cups sifted confectioners sugar (approx 1 lb)
- 6 Tbsp. water (less for stiffer icing)
- Gingerbread....Thoroughly mix flour, soda, salt and spices.
- Melt shortening in large saucepan over low heat until just melted, not hot. Add in order...sugar, molasses and eggs. Mix well. Cool slightly, then add 4 cups dry ingredients and mix well.
- Turn mixture onto lightly floured surface. Knead in remaining dry ingredients by hand. Add a little more flour, if necessary, to make a firm dough.
- If you're not going to make your gingerbread house right away, wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate. Refrigerated dough will keep for 1 week. Be sure to remove it 3 hours prior to rolling so it softens and is workable. You will need 1 recipe of this gingerbread dough to make a Gingerbread House.
- After cutting out house, wrap any remaining gingerbread dough in plastic. This extra dough can be used in case of a house crack or to add shutters or other decorative gingerbread to house. Icing can also repair small cracks.
- Royal Icing.....Because it dries candy hard and lasts for weeks without softening, this icing is ideal to secure your gingerbread house pieces and decorations.
- Before you make icing be certain your utensils and bowl are grease free. Keep icing covered with damp cloth because it dries quickly.
- Beat all ingredients at low speed for 7 to 10 minutes until icing forms peaks. This icing can be stored in an airtight container and re-whipped before using. Yield is 3 cups. To give icing decorations a shiny snow effect, add 1 T. corn syrup per 1 cup of royal icing.
- For painting a complete wall of your house, thin icing with coloring or water. Pour over gingerbread piece that is placed on a wire rack over a drip pan. Pour evenly to coat and let dry.