Top | Matthew Amster-Burton
Fruit Crisp Topping
(recipe, Matthew Amster-Burton)
Adapted from The Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, this recipe makes enough for 5 cups of fruit, or enough to fill an 8-by-8-inch pan.
- ½ cup (1.5 ounces) regular rolled oats (i.e., not quick-cooking or super-thick)
- ½ cup (3.5 ounces) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (1.75 ounces) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg, ginger, or cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp. (½ stick) cold butter
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or your hands until the butter is in pea-sized chunks. Use immediately or freeze indefinitely.
- When ready to bake, scatter the mixture atop lightly sweetened fruit in a 2-quart baking pan and bake for 35 minutes (for fresh fruit) or for 40 minutes (for thawed fruit) at 375 degrees or until the top is nicely browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.