Top | Featured Items
Christmas Apple Strudel
(recipe, Bluebird Farmers Market & CSA)
Raisins, apples, butter and cinnamon make this a tried and true recipe that is simple to make for a delightful holiday favorite. Our Kitchen Show audience loved this demonstration given by Bread of Life Cooking School artisan, Cathy Kreismanis. Traditional Christmas Apple Strudel makes a Cottage Baked Goods alternative to apple pies with farm fresh apples from your local farmers market. Click here to watch Cathy's demo: http://bit.ly/thatsastrudel
- 2 cups flour
- ½ t. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- ½ cup warm water
- Apple Filling:
- 1 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 5 to 6 apples, sliced thin
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup nuts
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- powdered sugar, apple, cranberries, evergreens for garnish
- Mix all together and knead well for several minutes. Let rest covered for 1 hour! Roll out thin on floured cloth. Brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of pastry. Place apple filling at end and roll up using floured cloth to help roll.
- Form roll into a horseshoe and bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Garnish with dusted powdered sugar, an apple and evergreens. Serve with Sharp Cheddar Cheese.