Top | Eamon's recipes
(recipe, Eamon Molloy)
- 2 lb. potatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. flour or matzo meal
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Shred the potatoes in a food processor or by hand. Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Add the onions, eggs, and flour or matzo meal. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat about ½ inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. The oil is ready when a potato piece sizzles in the pan.
- Stir the potato mixture again to incorporate the starch settled in the bottom of the bowl. To shape latkes, take about 3 to 4 tablespoons of the mixture, squeeze the excess liquid out, and shape it into a pancake. Fry the pancakes until well-browned. Remove from the oil when done and set on paper towels to drain.
- Serve with sour cream and applesauce.
If reheating latkes, set in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place in a 450-degree oven. Heat until hot, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn the latkes several times while in oven.