Top | My recipes
Italian Sausage Soup
(recipe, Sophia Cauliere)
This is an easy and hearty soup that makes a nice mid-week meal. Most ingredients come from standard pantry stock so this is a good fall-back meal when fresh groceries run low. I keep spicy Italian links in the freezer for just such occasions. Frozen sliced carrots could also be substituted for fresh. Serve this with rustic, hearty bread and a nice Chianti.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ small onion (red or yellow), diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 small to medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cans of chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 links of spicy Italian sausage (grilled, preferably)
- 1 cup of macaroni or other small pasta
- 1 Bay leaf
- Seasonings to tastes: Oregano, Basil, Salt & Pepper
- In dutch oven or stock pot, soften and lightly brown the onion, garlic and carrots in about 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Cook sausage links until done enough to slice (about 10 minutes on the grill)
- De-glaze the pan with ¼ to ½ cup dry red wine.
- Add chicken stock, canned tomatoes with juice, water and tomato paste, stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Add bay leaf, season to taste with Oregano, Basil, Salt and Pepper. Note that the sausage will add additional seasoning to the soup so season lightly to start and add more later. If working with fresh herbs, add near the end of the cooking time.
- Slice the cooked sausage into bite-sized chunks and add to pot
- Add pasta to pot
- Simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes until pasta is tender