Top | Collected Wisdom
Cheddar Herb Biscuits
(recipe, Jon Clark)
I originally found this recipe in Bon Appetit years ago. I'm sure it was a November issue, but I can't remember what year. I was unable to find the recipe on epicurious.com.
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups (packed) grated cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½ in cubes (5½ sticks)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix buttermilk and thyme in small bowl; let stand 5 min.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add cheese and butter, pinch and rub with fingertips until mixture resembles fine meal. Add buttermilk mix and stir until soft moist clumps form.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; press out to thickness of ½ inch. Using 2-inch round cookie cutter cut out biscuits.
- Gather scraps and press to thickness of ½ inch. Transfer biscuits to two ungreased baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes and reverse position of sheets and bake biscuits until golden brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes longer.