Top | Matthew Amster-Burton
Miso Mashed Potatoes
(recipe, Matthew Amster-Burton)
This side-dish recipe was adapted from Jaden Hair's The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook.
- 2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. miso
- 1 cup milk
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced chives
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan with water to cover by 1 inch. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 20 to 30 minutes, until potatoes can be easily pierced with a paring knife. Drain.
- When the potatoes are just cool enough to handle, peel. Pass through a ricer or food mill, or mash with a potato masher in a large bowl.
- In the same saucepan, heat the butter and garlic over medium heat. Once the butter is foaming and the garlic is fragrant, whisk in the miso. Whisk in ¾ cup of the milk. Add the potatoes and stir. Add additional milk as necessary to achieve your preferred mashed-potato texture.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle on the chives.