Top | Indulgences
Goat Cheese, Artichoke, and Smoked Ham Strata
(recipe, Julie Balderrama)
Mitzi made this for one of our clubs. It was so good, I asked for the recipe. It's rich, so I make it for special occasions only. So easy to prepare the day before and pop in the oven about an hour or so before people arrive.
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 cups 1-inch cubes sourdough bread, crusts trimmed
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- 5 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 12 oz. soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), crumbled (about 3 cups)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ tsp. herbes de Provence
- 12 oz. smoked ham, chopped
- 3 6.5 -ounce jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained, halved lengthwise (about 2½ cups)
- 1 cup (packed) grated Fontina cheese
- 1½ cups (packed) grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Whisk milk and oil in large bowl. Stir in bread. Let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk cream and next 5 ingredients in another large bowl to blend. Add goat cheese. Mix herbs in small bowl to blend.
- Place half of bread mixture in prepared dish. Top with half of ham, artichoke hearts, herbs, and cheeses. Pour half of cream mixture over. Repeat layering with remaining bread, ham, artichoke hearts, herbs, cheeses, and cream mixture. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
- Bake uncovered until firm in center and brown around edges, about 1 hour.