Top | Moosie's Recipes
French Onion Soup
(recipe, Maura Berger)
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 large onions, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 0.5 cup water
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 to 14 oz. cans beef broth
- In a saucepan, melt butter & cook down onions for 10 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over them after the first few minutes. Brown – do not burn.
- Stir in flour (optional) and let it get fully incorporated.
- Deglaze with wine – add the rest of the liquids – simmer 10 minutes.
- I put a slice of a crusty bread (Italian or French) in a bowl. Slice of swiss or Provalone on top. Melt the cheese (hot oven, even microwave.