Top | Featured Items
Spicy Pumpkin Pie
(recipe, Bluebird Farmers Market & CSA)
This is such a good pumpkin pie, even if it does sound a bit odd to have cayenne pepper as a ingredient. The pepper just spices the other spices up a notch. (Sometimes I add 1/4 t. instead of 1/8 t. cayenne pepper). Linda Hayward is a local children's author and illustrator who contributed this delicious holiday pie recipe to Bluebird Market!
- ½ 15.0 oz. package refrigerator pie crust for 9" pie, or your favorite homemade single pie crust recipe
- 2 cups pumpkin, prepared
- 3 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. ground ginger
- ¼ t. ground allspice
- ⅛ t. cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Whipping cream and cinnamon as garnish
- Place 2 cups mashed pulp in a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup whipping cream and next 8 ingredients to mashed pulp; stir well with wire whisk.
- Pour mixture into prepared pastry shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes OR until set in center. (Shield pie crust with strips of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary).
- Cool completely. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream; sprinkle with cinnamon.