Top | Recipe Queue
Autumn Harvest Muesli
(recipe, Bluebird Farmers Market & CSA)
The ingredients begin with the same original recipe developed by Swiss physician Bircher-Benner after he was served this pottage on a Swiss Alps hike. He then added Muesli as part of his wellness therapy prescribed as a healthy breakfast for patients in his hospital.
Autumn Harvest Muesli gives the option of adding autumn harvest abundance from your local Farmers' Market for increased health benefits. Local Girl Scouts will learn how to make this delicious and nutritious warm breakfast and earn their cooking s'cool badge...courtesy of Alice Versemann in the Bluebird Market Kitchen. http://www.bluebirdmarket.com
- Original Birchermuesli
- 4 Tbsp. oats
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp. cream
- 4 apples, grated
- 4 Tbsp. ground hazelnuts or almonds
- Add an Autumn Harvest abundance of fruits and seeds like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, ground flax seeds, raisins and pecans.
- The components are very basic for Muesli and may be adapted to seasonal Farmers’ Market produce.
- Our Muesli contains 5 basic ingredients:
- 1 -the cereal(such as oats and bran),
- 2 -nuts & seeds(such as sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds),
- 3 -fruit (such as apples, raisins, apricots, berries),
- 4 -liquid (such as fruit juice, cream, rice milk or yogurt), and
- 5 -sweetener (local honey, agave nectar, turbinado sugar–optional.)
- To prepare the Muesli for storing in an airtight jar, mix the oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruits together and seal for up to one week.
- To serve for breakfast, soak ½ cup of the oat mixture overnight in the refrigerator in ½ cup of cream. In the morning, garnish with fresh fruit like grated harvest apples, fresh squeezed lemon juice and local honey to taste.
- Without heat this dish qualifies as a raw food. To heat for a warm breakfast, microwave for approx. 30 seconds until warm.
- Delicious...and nutritious!