Top | Divya's recipes
Sprouted Wheatberry Bean salad
(recipe, Divya Vikram)
I have heard a lot about whole grains, sprouts and their nutrition. But I have always been skeptical to try them. On our trip to the grocery store, I picked a pack of wheatberries and it was lying in my pantry for a while. Googling for recipes, I came across a lot of salads and soups with wheatberries. I learnt that its nutrition is maximum brought out when sprouting the berries. So I sprouted a cup of wheatberries and moong dal separately. Then I prepared a quick salad and we had it with a piece of bread to make a wholesome nutritious meal!
- Wheat berries(sprouted) - 1 cup
- Sprouted moong dal - 1 cup
- Garbanzo beans - 1 cup
- Carrot - 1
- Cucumber -1
- Golden raisins - 2 tablespoons
- Balsamic vinegar and olive oil - for the dressing
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Soak wheatberries and moong dal separately overnight.
- In the morning, drain the water wash them separately and place in a jar tied with a muslin cloth. Leave it overnight. In the morning you will see the berries and the moong dal sprouted. Wash them and follow the same method if you want them to sprout even longer.
- When you are ready to make the salad,
- Pressure cook the wheat berries and the garbanzo beans. You could use canned garbanzo beans instead. The wheatberries should get a chewy texture.
- Grate the carrots and cucumber.
- Combine together, the wheatberries, sprouted moong dal, carrots, cucumber, raisins.
- Season with a dressing made with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Also add salt and pepper to taste.