Top | Salads
Beet Wheat Berry Salad
(recipe, Amy Halloran)
- ½ cup shallots, minced
- 1 cup fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 cups steam-roasted beets, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 cups parsley, chopped
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBSP whole cumin seeds
- 1 cup raw almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- Combine shallots, fennel, beets and wheat berries in a large bowl.
- In a bowl topped with a plate, steep apricots in balsamic with a little (2-3 TBSP) boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Toast cumin and almonds in a hot, dry pan until cumin is fragrant and almonds are tan, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice and olive oil with salt and pepper.
- Add apricots and their liquid plus the toasted nuts and cumin to vegetables and wheat berries. Mix well. Pour dressing over top and mix well again. Serve chilled or at room temperature.