Top | Eamon's recipes
(recipe, Eamon Molloy)
The waldorf salad was created at New York City's Waldorf Hotel in 1893. The classic salad has raisins but I like dried cherries so I substituted cherries for raisins.
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1 cup chopped, lightly toasted walnuts
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup seedless grapes, sliced
- 4 apples, cored and chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Place cherries in a small bowl, cover with hot water until soft. Drain.
- Mix together mayonnaise and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add cherries, celery, grapes and apples. Toss and season to taste.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a platter. Spoon salad over the lettuce then garnish with walnuts.