Top | Clean Food
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Kale Chowder
(recipe, Terry Walters)
When I prepare dinner, I try to make sure there's something for everyone. This chowder accomplishes that in one pot and is a colorful variation on an old favorite. It cooks up quickly and provides a balanced meal rich in nutrients, all in one satisfying bowl.
- 1 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups rice milk, plus more if needed
- 2 Tbsp. cashew butter, dissolved in ¼ cup hot water
- 1 bunch kale, chopped into small pieces
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion in oil until soft (about 3 minutes). Add celery, carrots, sweet potatoes, corn, thyme, and stock. Simmer 5 minutes. Add enough rice milk to cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are soft (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add dissolved cashew butter. Partially purée using a handheld blender. Add kale, return to heat, thin to desired consistency with water or stock, and cook until kale is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.