Top | grain salad
Beans & Barley Salad
(recipe, Emily Koehler)
A recipe named for my favorite restaurant, "Beans & Barley", in Milwaukee, WI.
- 1½ cups pearl barley
- ½ cup red onion chopped fine
- 1¼ cups fresh parsley leaves, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 15.0 -oz can white beans
- 1 head lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Bring 2 qts water to boil in medium saucepan. Add salt and barley, simmer until barley for about 25 min.
- Add parsley, capers, and garlic into a mortar and pestle. Grind, and add lemon juice and mash until smooth. Transfer to small bowl and add salt and pepper to taste.
- When barley is tender, drain well and transfer to large bowl. Add beans and toss. Drizzle with dressing and toss with tomatoes.
- Serve over chopped lettuce. Serve immediately.