Top | My inventions
Brown rice salad
(recipe, Marlyn Beebe)
I needed a main dish salad for a picnic with my mother-in-law, who is gluten-sensitive, and came up with this.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can chickpeas
- (or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 cup cashews (I use unsalted)
- 1 cup raisins, soaked and drained
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp. chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup of your favourite vinaigrette salad dressing
- Put first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add herbs and spices.
- Toss lightly.
- Pour in vinaigrette, and mix, being careful not to mash or break the rice.
- To really bring out the flavours, store overnight in refrigerator. Taste, and adjust seasonings before serving.