Top | Anyone Can Bake
Chocolate Butter Frosting
(recipe, Better Homes and Gardens Magazine)
This recipe frosts the tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch layers of cake. Halve the recipe to frost a 13-by-9-by-2-inch cake. Use it to frost Yellow Cake. In a very large mixing bowl beat ¾ cup softened butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat 1 ⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder into butter, then gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well.
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 cups powdered sugar, divided
- ½ cup milk, plus more as needed
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a very large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat the cocoa powder into the butter, then gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well.
- Slowly beat in the milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining 6 cups powdered sugar. Beat in additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to reach spreading consistency.