Top | Breakfast
(recipe, Caroline Cummins)
Like Multigrain Waffles, this recipe is adapted from a Thomas Keller original. Inexplicably, the original recipe leaves out eggs, which I've added back in, along with a few other twists.
If you make these in a Belgian waffle maker, you'll only get about 8 individual squares from one batch. An ordinary waffle iron will yield more waffles, but they'll be thinner and less puffy.
- Canola oil or other neutral-flavored oil, for greasing the iron
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal (use either fine- or medium-ground cornmeal, not coarse-ground)
- 1 cup water
- 6 oz. (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup plain yogurt (any kind is fine, but whole milk is best)
- 1 cup milk (any kind is fine, but whole milk is best)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Lightly brush the waffle iron with the oil. Preheat the iron. If making waffles for a crowd, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the remaining ½ teaspoon salt with the cornmeal and the water. Over medium heat and whisking steadily, bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for about five minutes, until the cornmeal is cooked and is pulling away from the sides of the pot. (Melt the butter while the cornmeal is cooking.)
- Remove from the heat and immediately whisk in the melted butter, yogurt, milk, vanilla extract, and beaten eggs. Scrape into the large mixing bowl and mix well.
- When the iron is hot, use a measuring cup (⅓ cup or ½ cup) to scoop, pour, and spread the batter around the iron. Cook until golden-brown and crispy, about 5 minutes or so depending on the iron.
- Serve immediately, or put the finished waffles in the warm oven to keep warm and crispy until you're ready to serve them.
These waffles are excellent served with fresh sliced strawberries and sweetened whipped cream, or with Nutella chocolate-hazelnut spread.