Top | Olivia's recipes
Grilled figs with goat cheese
(recipe, Olivia Stewart)
Mark Bittman in NYTimes
- 8 ripe figs
- ¼ cup fresh, soft goat cheese
- 1 tsp. mixed minced fresh thyme and rosemary, or any combination of fresh herbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 fig or grape leaves, or 8 6-inch squares of aluminum foil
- 8 rosemary-twig skewers or toothpicks
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Banyuls or balsamic vinegar
- 1. Pinch figs apart slightly from their stem ends, forming four sides surrounding a central pocket. Into this pocket, spoon a small amount of goat cheese. Sprinkle each with a tiny bit of herb mix and a pinch of salt and pepper. From the bottom up, use a leaf or sheet of foil to form a cup around each fig; skewer leaf or foil through fig so that it holds securely.
- 2. Grill figs, open side up, just until they brown slightly and cheese softens. Remove, sprinkle with a few drops each of soy sauce and vinegar, and serve.
- Also good when wrapped with a slice of prosciutto