Top | KatieElby

Peanut Butter Bars

(post, Katie Elberson)

After we made the pan of blondies to take to Boyfriend’s party, I decided we needed to bring another dessert, too.  Probably we didn’t need to, as I knew there would be at least one cake there already (there wound up being two, and one was left virtually intact long after the eating had stopped), but I definitely wanted to.


The problem was, I didn’t have a whole lot of time to work with.  We had plans on Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday there was an impromptu overnight beach trip to celebrate the first summer weekend in recent memory where there was not a cloud in the sky.  So when was this magical, extra dessert going to get made? I had no time for baking, for preheating ovens or fussing with dough, no time for the whole toothpick-inserting procedure to check for doneness.  The answer: peanut butter bars. 


This is the kind of dessert you make when someone asks you to be somewhere in two hours with something to share.  It takes literally 10 minutes to make, will entertain your boyfriend when you ask him to crush up a bag of graham cracker crumbs, and has zero baking time.  And did I mention they’re delicious?  So delicious, in fact, that I’ve made them twice in two days, and more than half of them were gone before we even got to dessert at Boyfriend’s party. 


Need I say more?



Peanut Butter Bars

Adapted from


1 stick butter, melted (the original recipe called for 2 sticks, which will work more than fine, but it’s unnecessary, really)

2 cups confectioners sugar (I have a hard time believing you need the entire 2 cups, but I haven’t tried it with any less)

2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 cup + 4 tbsp creamy peanut butter, divided

1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips


In a medium bowl, mix butter, sugar, graham cracker crumbs and 1 cup of peanut butter.  Press into the bottom of an un-greased 9 x 13 pan. 

Melt chocolate chips along with the rest of the peanut butter in the microwave, and spread evenly over the top of the crust. 

Refrigerate for at least one hour, then cut into squares.