Top | Dessert Express
Cantaloupe with Red Wine Syrup
(recipe, Lauren Chattman)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 ripe cantaloupes
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- Put 4 dessert bowls in the freezer to chill.
- Combine the wine and sugar in a small, heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook at a lively simmer until the wine is reduced to about ¼ cup, about 10 minutes. Set the saucepan in a bowl of ice water to cool, about 15 minutes.
- While the syrup is cooling, cut the cantaloupes in half and remove the seeds. Use a melon baller to scoop the melon flesh from the rind.
- When you’re ready to serve, divide the melon balls among the 4 chilled dessert bowls. Drizzle the cooled syrup over the melon, garnish with a basil leaf, and serve immediately.