Top | veggie ignoramus recipes
Mint and Coconut Parathas
(recipe, Cristin Couzens)
From: Rinku Bhattacharya' Blog
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour (atta)
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh mint
- ½ cup fresh grated coconut(can be frozen)
- ½ cup yogurt or buttermilk
- Extra flour for kneading
- 1 Tbsp. ghee or butter
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Method of Preparation
- 1. Place the flour, 2 tablespoons oil, salt, pepper, mint in the bowl of the food processor and pulse for 30 seconds.
- 2. Add in the coconut and pulse again until well mixed.
- 3. Add the yogurt or buttermilk and process for less than a minute until the dough binds.
- 4. Remove and knead the dough until smooth. Shape into balls and roll out into 6-8 inch diameter circles.
- 5. Place the remaining oil and butter in a bowl and microwave for 10 seconds to melt the butter
- 6. Heat a griddle and place the paratha on the gridle and cook for 1 minute. Turn and repeat the process. The dough should look drier and show the begins of delicate brown dots on the surface.
- 7. Coat evenly with the oil/butter mixture. Using a pastry brush for this works well. At this point the bread actually puffs up. Gently press down and flip. Repeat the process and flip again. The first side should be crisper and have darker brown spots. Continue cooking each side for 30-45 seconds more until the bread is light golden with darker spots.
- 8. Enjoy with any food of your choice.