Top | Vegetarian stuff (non culinate)
Grilled Zucchini Pizza
(recipe, Lina Ja)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1 lb. pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- 1 lb. zucchini (about 2 large), cut diagonally into ⅓-inch-thick slices
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ lb. coarsely grated mozzarella (2½ cups)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- Prepare gas grill for cooking over moderate heat. Preheat burners on high, covered, 10 minutes, then, if necessary, reduce to heat specified in recipe.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic with a large heavy knife, then mash to a paste with a pinch of salt using flat side of knife. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Stretch dough with your fingers into a 12- by 10-inch rectangle on a large baking sheet and rub with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Cover dough with plastic wrap.
- Toss zucchini with salt (¼ teaspoon) and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Grill zucchini on lightly oiled grill rack, covered, turning occasionally, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes total. Return to bowl.
- Bring dough, garlic oil, and cheese to grill area. Grill dough, oiled side down, on lightly oiled grill rack, covered, until underside is golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Turn crust over using tongs and brush with garlic oil. Sprinkle with half of cheese, then arrange zucchini, overlapping slightly, in 1 layer on cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and grill pizza, covered, until underside is golden brown and cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer pizza with tongs and a spatula to a cutting board, then sprinkle with oregano and drizzle with remaining teaspoon olive oil.
- Cooks' note: If you aren't able to grill outdoors, pizza can be cooked in a hot lightly oiled well-seasoned large (2-burner) ridged grill pan over moderately high heat, loosely covered with foil after sprinkling with cheese.