Top | MUFFINS and Baking
Fresh Peach and Oat Muffins
(recipe, Lina Ja)
- 1⅓ cups rolled oats
- 1⅓ cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 12 oz. almost ripe peaches, rinsed, pitted, and flesh cut into large chunks
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Put the rolled oats and the buttermilk in a large bowl and let soak for 10 minutes. Add the lightly beaten egg, melted butter or vegetable oil, and sugar and mix well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices onto the soaked oat mixture and stir briefly. Quickly fold in the chopped peaches. Do not beat or over mix; the batter should look slightly streaky. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup about two-thirds full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Let cool in the pan for 1 minute, then turn out onto a wire rack. Eat warm, immediately or within 24 hours. When thoroughly cooled, the muffins can be wrapped then frozen for up to 1 month.