Top | MUFFINS and Baking
(recipe, Lina Ja)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. fine salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for preparing the muffin tin
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- ⅔ cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for the top of the muffins
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ cups fresh raspberries, rinsed and dried
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly brush a 12-muffin tin with butter and set aside. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with an electric hand-held mixer in a large bowl, cream the butter, zest, lemon juice and ⅔ cup of the sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour in 3 parts into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk in 2 parts, until just combined. Fold in the blueberries. Take care not to over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin and sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool muffins in the pan on a rack. Serve warm.